General Overview for Grant Seekers
Areas of Interest
Direct Inquiries to:
American Legion Child Welfare Foundation
PO Box 1055, Indianapolis, IN 46206
We accept proposals from nonprofit organizations for projects which meet one of the Foundation’s two basic purposes:
- To contribute to the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual welfare of children through the dissemination of knowledge about new and innovative organizations and/or their programs designed to benefit youth; and
- To contribute to the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual welfare of children through the dissemination of knowledge already possessed by well-established organizations, to the end that such information can be more adequately used by society.
Characteristics of Typical Grants
The Foundations grants are awarded for one year. All grants must be completed between the period of January 1 - December 31 of the award year.
Grants must have the potential of helping American children in a large geographic area (more than one state).
- Grants are awarded only to nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations. They are never awarded directly or indirectly to an individual for his or her personal use.
- Grants are not made for any of the normal, day-to-day operating expenses of the grantee or special operating expenses connected with the grant.
- Grants will not be given for construction of any type.
- Grants will not be given to match government funds.
- Our grants are not to defray school expenses for master or doctrinal candidate to perform research for degree requirements.
- Grants are not awarded for projects that seek to create or reproduce materials or medium in a language other than English.
- Grants are never given for personnel expenses, i.e. salaries, insurance, fringe benefits, or for the purpose of coordinating seminars or training programs. Specifically, grants are not made to cover lodging, travel nor food expenses, registration fees or per diem expenses.
- Grants are not given to purchase equipment for the purpose of conducting research, seminars or to add to the existing equipment of an agency or organization.
- Grants are never made to pay salaries or fees for consultants, secretaries or other clerical type help.
- Grants are not given to cover such costs as storage, computer time, telephone, analysis or the cost of office space rental.
Assisting the children of this nation is our primary concern. We do not fund programs that fail to meet the basic criteria of direct benefit to the children of America.
For general tips on grantseeking, click here.
For a grant application, click here.